Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael Jackson's Memorial

Less than two weeks ago I was having a nap after packing to go on vacation. I woke up, checked Twitter and realized that Michael Jackson had passed away. This was one of those rare moments where I will remember where I was when a momentous event happened, such as learning about Princess Diana's death and the attack on the World Trade Center September 11, 2001. I am a media nut and it drove me crazy that I was going to be away from the spectacle while camping in bear country for nine days.

I am not a huge MJ fan. I am also not critical and judgmental of Jackson. I always felt for him because I am not entirely sure that he would have chosen fame for himself. The stage became so much a part of who he was, that he was uncomfortable and vulnerable in all other aspects of his life. I choose to remember Michael not for his personal life, but for his music. I will remember the time I was sick and watched the premiere of the Black or White video. I will also remember the many Saturday nights I spent dancing to Thriller at the local pub.

Today's ceremony was everything that Michael was. Sad, funny and more than a little strange. Since I love lists, here is a breakdown of my thoughts on the service.

Top 3 Moments

1. Paris Jackson's emotional tribute to her father. I was pretty much over the whole affair near the end of the ceremony, but then I cried again. It really did seem heartfelt and spontaneous. I sincerely hope that this was her and only her decision and that the Jacksons did not pressure her to speak.

2. Brooke Shield's eulogy. So cliche, but she made me laugh, and she made me cry. She definitely humanized Michael. She was genuine in her grief and I could just picture her teasing Michael. Michael had a true friend in Brooke.

3. Jennifer Hudson's rendition of "Will You Be There." I think that Jennifer did the best job of all of the performers at today's tribute. She had great vocals as well as wonderful stage presence.

Bottom 3 Moments

1. Al Sharpton's speech. I think that African American Rights are something to be fought for. I also think that Michael Jackson did try to decrease racial tensions. However, it was not appropriate for Sharpton to use the public arena of Jackson's tribute to further his agenda. Also, saying that Michael Jackson wasn't strange is like saying Betty White isn't old.

2. Sheila Jackson Lee's speech. In a similar vein to Sharpton, she was using this chance to further her agenda. By intimating that Michael was persecuted and that "People are innocent until proven guilty" Lee brought Jackson's controversy into the limelight.

3. Magic Johnson's speech. Johnson is known for being extremely charismatic and a great public speaker. Today he was outshone by Brooke Shields. To be on tour with Michael would be a great honour but I found his story about Jackson enjoying KFC an odd choice.

3 WTF Moments

1. The performance by Shaheen Jafargholi. Alright. People say that they want to remember Michael for his humanitarian spirit as well as his music. Comments by Sharpton and Lee led spectators to believe that one should stop speculating about whether or not Jackson was a child predator. Why, why would they have a twelve year old boy sing a tribute to him? This was a gross mistake in judgement.

2. Corey Feldman dressing up as the King of Pop. Feldman and Jackson had drifted apart. Corey did this for publicity and no other reason. If someone like Justin Timberlake had imitated Jackson I would not have been surprised, and I would not have questioned his motives. A has-been '80's star is another story.

3. John Mayer's performance. Here is another publicity whore. This article from the Los Angeles Times also questions the decision to use Mayer. These moments added the kookiness that I expected.

Michael, I hope that you finally find peace.

3 comments:

  1. I don't want to think about MJ enjoying KFC. I have this weird image in my mind of bits of his face falling off as he does so. And now you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't watch the tribute, mostly cuz i was getting my oil changed while it was on. i know, right? anyway, i heard good things and bad. thanks for summing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Mayer just pisses me off. Somehow, he gets in on everything, and I don't get it. Why is he so popular???

    ReplyDelete